Following are frequently asked SEO Job Interview Questions for freshers as well as experienced Digital marketing professionals.
1) What is SEO? What are the important types of SEO methods?
Search engine optimization or SEO is a process of keep changing the position of a web page or website in a search engine results by using keywords or phrases.
Two Types of SEO are:
- On Page Optimization
- Off Page Optimization
2) What do you mean by Backlink?
The incoming links to your website or webpage are referred to as Backlink. It is also called as an inbound link.
3) What are the SEO tools do you use?
The SEO tools that I use are Google analytic, Keyword Planner, Alexa, open site explorer, Google Webmaster.
4) Explain Googlebot
To index and update a webpage Google uses the Googlebot (Web Spider). Caching, Crawling and indexing of a webpage are done through Googlebot by collecting details from that webpage.
5) What does it mean if nothing appears while searching for the domain?
On searching for your domain and if nothing appears, then there are three possibilities.
- Maybe the site is banned by search engines
- Maybe no index by search engines
- Some canonical issues
6)What is keyword stemming?
The process of finding out new keywords from the root keyword from the search query is referred to as keywords stemming. Adding a prefix, suffix, or pluralization can be used to create the new keyword.
7) How many characters limits in & Meta Description tag?
We can add 70 characters in a title tag and 222 characters in the Meta Description tag. Though Google now places a pixel limit.
8) What is Black Hat SEO
In order to get a high ranking in SEO search engine result page, websites go for various methods and techniques which are characterized by two categories. One method that is acceptable by search engine guidelines is known as White Hat SEO, while the other method which is not acceptable by search engine guidelines is known as Black Hat SEO.
9) What are some famous Black Hat SEO techniques?
- Link Farming
- Hidden text, etc.
- Gateway or Doorway pages
- Keyword Stuffing
10) State the difference between ‘nofollow’ and ‘dofollow’ link
Nofollow links do not pass Link juice and have no impact on Google Ranking Algorithm. Dofollow link passes link juice and has an impact on Google Ranking Algorithm.
11) Why is Title Tag on Website valuable?
Title tags are essential in SEO, as it tells about the contents on that web page. Through title tags only the search engine will notify the user, what is there in the page.
12) What are the differences between SEO and SEM?
SEM (Search Engine Marketing), it is used for the promotion of website through paid advertising by increasing their visibility in Search Engine Result Page (SERP) in the Ads section. While SEO is optimizing the site to increase the organic ranking of a site.
13) What is 301 redirect?
It is a method by which the user is redirected to new page url to old page url. It is a permanent redirect, and it is also useful in directing link juice to new url from old url.
14) What are Webmaster tools?
Webmaster tool is a service provided by Google from where you can get backlink information, crawl errors, search queries, Indexing data, CTR, etc.
15) What is keyword density and what is the formula for knowing keyword density?
From an SEO point of view, keyword density will definitely help to stand out your content from others. The formula to know the keyword density is ( Total number of keyword/ total number of words in your article) multiply by 100.
16) What is the difference between On Page SEO and Off Page SEO?
In On Page SEO, optimization is done on the website that involves making changes in the title tag, meta tags, site structure, site content, solving canonicalization problem, managing robots.txt, etc. Whereas, in off page SEO, the primary focus is on building backlinks and social media promotion.
On page SEO techniques:
It mainly involves optimizing the page elements such as:
- Page Title
- Page description
- Canonical URL
- Open Graph Tags
- Page Headers and Sub-Headers
- Paragraph Text
- Alt Image Tags
- Internal and External Links
Off page SEO techniques:
It mainly focuses on the following methods:
- Link Building
- Social Media
- Press Release Submission
17) What is robots.txt?
Robots.txt is a text file. It is through this file. It gives instruction to search engine crawlers about indexing and caching of a webpage, file of a website or directory, domain.
18)How can you optimize the website which has millions of pages?
From an SEO point of view, for dynamic website, special additional SEO stuff has to be implemented.
- Good Internal link structure
- Generation of dynamic title and description
- Dynamic XML sitemap generation
19) What are the key aspects of the Panda update?
Panda is to improve the search on Google. The latest version has focused on quality content, proper design, proper speed, proper use of images and many more.
20) What are the key aspects of Penguin update?
Penguin is the code name for Google algorithm. Its main target is to decrease the ranking of that website that are violating the Google Webmaster guidelines. These guidelines are violated by using black hat techniques like Cloaking and stuffing.
21) How will you neutralize a toxic link to your site?
Through Backlink Quality Checker you can know who links to your website. Now, you have to go to ‘Toxic link’ report, where you will find all the links, that are harmful to your websites. If there is any link in ‘Toxic link report’ that matches with the link on your website, then you can remove it by using ‘Google Disavov tool’.
22) How can you check if someone is not building or redirecting a low-quality backlink to your site?
To prevent someone from building or redirecting a low-quality link to your site, you can use tools like,
- Open Site Explorer
23) Which is the most important area to include your keywords?
The most important area to include your keywords are,
- Page title
- Body text
- Meta Description
On regular intervals. You can either request the webmaster to remove the bad link or disavow them.
24) What will you do if the search engines ban your website for black hat practices?
If the search engines ban your website for black hat practices, you can apply for re-inclusion after correcting your wrongdoings.
45) What will be your approach if your SEO method doesn’t work?
If the SEO method doesn’t work then do the following,
- First, see whether it is a new project then re-check the keywords
- Then look for relevant keywords that can be helpful
- Make changes in page text, title, and description
- If still not ranked then there may be some other serious issues like bad links, penguin/panda or other Google penalty, crawlability issues, UI issue, etc.